Tuesday 26 August 2014

Day 1. Land's End to nr Wadebridge. 57 miles.

Day 1 down and a day of mixed feelings. I was warned before this trip by previous LEJoGers that the west country, in particular Cornwall, can be tough. They were right. West of Penzance from what I've seen makes good cycling. The hills are gentler and roads quieter by comparison. Some real delights out there! Most of Cornwall East of Penzance however is entirely the opposite. The weather was damp at first but the LE to Penzance leg was still great. Beyond that the hills bit hard at times, though it was now dry.
I could have taken the A30 most of the way, cutting with ease through the landscape. This road however being almost a motorway is a death trap. Sadly literally for some cyclists and hence my avoidance. The roads towards Newquay and Wadebridge however were gentler and in parts a dream to whizz along, though the traffic requires constant awareness.
I was suprised to see 37mph as my recorded max and such speeds with panniers can be frightening at turns. I took a slight diversion into Newquay for rest which was nice to see. On the whole a good but tiring day.

No comments:

Post a Comment