Saturday 30 August 2014

Rest day thoughts.

Taking a rest day in Bristol has given me a chance to reflect on the 230 ish miles so far.

Looking back the west country has been a real achievement. I was aware it would be tough. My routes were fairly direct rather than the most direct. The rail paths and canal paths were all good and worth including. I feel more LEJoGers should take these into account and be more about the journey than the daily target.

Perhaps on reflection, using some dual carriageways could have been safer than banking on being spotted around tight up-hill corners on twisty roads. Of course carriageways are faster and often less pretty. I guess the true answer depends on the nature of the trip and what one aims to get out of it. That and that where ever you are, fate still hangs in the alertness of motorists. So far however, touch wood, drivers have been kind.

Weather has been mixed. Never too hot or too cold but fairly damp on the whole with bright spells here and there. Windy too which was felt more across the edge of Cornish moorland, though this didn't spoil the views.

And me? The body feels charged and keen to continue. Legs are holding out, albeit a little tight, and no saddle sores as yet. The mind however has gone through more of a battering so far as the underlying knowledge of the distance to go was repressed to help me focus on the grueling West Country. There have been moments of "why am I doing this". Though I know deep down giving up so easily would be regretted in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment