Saturday 6 September 2014

Day 11. Carlisle To Abington 63 miles.

Today was one of real change (as if going through the Lake District wasn't). Not long after Carlisle I crossed the border near Gretna and followed National Cycle Route 74 north.

At first relatively flat and alongside the A74M to Lockerbie, where I stopped off for a light lunch. From there I continued on NCN 74, which uses the old road replaced by the motorway alongside. This became a long gradual climb for many miles. I don't know what's wrong with me today but I found this more tiring than Kirkstone Pass for some reason!

It really is a travellers route. Little along it but the odd small settlement and motorway gritting depot. The landscape is of vast rolling hills with windswept grass, tree plantations or wind turbine power stations. This was the first time on the trip I felt alone, even with the nearby motorway and railway rushing by. Perhaps it is Scotland's way of warning a LEJoGer "You may have crossed the border, but you're not there yet".

Day 11 map, stats and gradients.

No comments:

Post a Comment