Thursday 11 September 2014

Day 15. Nr Newtonmore To Inverness 63 miles.

I've been very lucky with the weather during this journey. It has most certainly contributed to my enjoyment. For the last 10 days I've been applying lotion, a record I don't think I've even managed abroad! Today was one of heat to a level of discomfort. So I'm glad there were just a few climbs.

Good progress was made towards Aviemore along safe cycle lanes and a B road. From there a well surfaced forest track in good scenery alongside the Strathspey Railway (pic 1) to Boat Of Garten. In my view more enjoyable and survivable than cycling the A9. Worth the diversion, especially in good weather. I popped into the nice station at Boat for a rest and a thoughtful station volunteer was quick to offer me nice cold water!

From here rolling back roads to Carrbridge where two options exist to Slochd Summit. Having taken the roads before, I took the 6 mile off road option (pic 2). Bloody rough and hilly! My hybrid was ok but absolutely not for road bikes! Despite walking half of it, and almost losing balance a few times, I still enjoyed it and the remote Highland scenery.

Back onto tarmac for Slochd Summit and an oh-so refreshingly breezy drop. The main road to Inverness continues straight but the cycle route uses a longer, pleasant way round. Another day that has left me feeling good about how things have been going. Fingers crossed for similar success in the Far North.

Day 15 map, stats and gradients.

No comments:

Post a Comment