Friday 12 September 2014

Day 16. Inverness To Golspie 61 miles.

Becoming a routine, all this. Check-in, stretches, shower, sink wash lycra, eat, blog, bed. The odd bit of cycling as well.

I had two options today of similar length, inland (mostly on or near main roads) or via the Black Isle and Cromarty Ferry. I went for option B having done so before and preferring to be nearer the sea. The air was fresh but due to mist I barely saw the water all day! Ho-hum, still good nonetheless and nice cool weather now. The Black Isle has some big climbs but is scenic and peaceful.

The short ferry crossing (a small vessel to carry a few cars) was a pleasing experience. The bay was eerily misty as we chugged across and I was the only passenger. The Cap'n was nice and chatty to me from his post up in the wheelhouse. Though his accent was too broad for me to translate much.

Then nice fairly flat roads before an unavoidable, bloody terrifying ride on the A9 (one part of this however I was able to divert off for a few miles along a short coast road). My cycle commute in London is safer. To think some LEJoGers use the A9/A99 directly all the way to Wick?! They're mad! I'll be glad to get off it tomorrow morning.

Day 16 map, stats and gradients.

No comments:

Post a Comment