Monday 22 September 2014

On Reflection


A week has passed since I reached John o’ Groats which has given me time to reflect on my journey. Looking back through the blogs posts, maps and photos has been heartwarming. The memories, which even today I am still recalling go beyond what I could squeeze in the blog or on here. As I rode that last couple of miles to the sign at John o’ Groats part of me wanted to finish but a bigger part of me didn’t want to.

I even stopped a couple of times during that couple of miles to think. Part of me wonders if the sadness was greater than the happiness. Either way it was an emotional time. My ‘some thoughts’ post a few days earlier spoke volumes about what I’d gotten from the journey.

Years of wishing, considering, putting it off, then wishing again. These years became months of planning, research, and more planning. So much for a few weeks on the saddle. Day after day of cycle, wash, eat, sleep, cycle, wash, eat, sleep etc etc (though still making time for photographs).

Best bits? Hard to choose. The rolling roads of Gloucestershire in glorious sun stopping off for a cider? Skirting around the seafront at Southport? Flying down the Kirkstone Pass in the Lake District followed by scones and cream by Ullswater? Drumochter Pass in fine weather? The remote far north of Scotland? Standing on the true northernmost point at Dunnet Head? So much to choose from, and definitely no one favorite bit.

Memories of the coastlines, moorlands, mountains, cities, forests, rolling hills, trails, and so much more variety. From the city canal path of Liverpool to the windswept remoteness of far northern Scotland. Spoke to many people and the bike performed well, as did my legs. The weather held up well, with no rain at all north of Telford and 10 consecutive days of sun lotion application!

Wasn’t all plain sailing though. The weather was harsh for the first few days. The wind and rain was quite frankly a depressing thing to encounter right away. However, I’d slipped into a mindset of “Just get to Bristol, and think of the rest after that”. I had two punctures in the same day but am glad that’s all that went wrong with the bike.

People on forums warned me the West Country would be the hardest bit and that I’d hate Cornwall in particular. They were right in every way! Yes Scotland is mountainous but you don’t pedal over those do you. Devon was slightly better but the West Country IS the toughest bit of a LEJoG. Despite this I stood up to the challenge and soldiered through it.

The time taken for planning and research paid off. There isn’t and never will be the ‘perfect route’ because it’s all personal preference. It’s well worth listening to others but I’d be concerned around anybody who claims to have found ‘the right way’ from start to finish on the assumption that their preference and ability is that of everybody else. I’m happy for what I did and mostly went the way I wanted. Yes there will always be another option here and there but I’m happy.

For some days I had route variations in case the weather was nice. These are amongst other highlights on the final map and all were worth it. True some were slightly indirect but I wanted to do them.

Having completed tours before from a few days to this one, I can say that there is much to be said for a good cycling (or even walking) trip. The humble sense of escapism, going under your own steam, peace, exercise, and carrying what you need. It puts a true reliance on your own mind and body. Whether it’s 3 days or 3 months, it’s a great feeling. Though nice weather certainly helps.

The support I had from friends and family was so helpful. Going it solo can be hard on the mind but knowing people are with you in some sense helps.

Would I do it again? Hopefully, yes. Maybe in 5 or 10 years time but for now I'm good with the memories. This was the journey I wanted and it worked so well.

Now go forth and enjoy those miles!



No comments:

Post a Comment