Tuesday 9 September 2014

Day 13. Edinburgh To Burnam 64 miles.

At first I was in two minds as to if my rest day in Edinburgh was needed. I felt I could have continued. However it's best to play safe with these things. Had the bike checked out there and it turned out one of my spokes needed replacing, despite my daily checks including the spokes. Now the odds are low but if my rear wheel gave way in the middle of Scotland I'd be truly screwed (and possibly injured). So that peace of mind alone was worth it!

Onto today and into slightly familiar cycling. Leaving Edinburgh was easy on the railpaths and the Forth Bridges soon appeared over the country landscape. I dropped into Dalmeny for a look. There is almost a masculine and feminine comparison between them, one being hefty and muscular in appearance, the other rather delicate and gracious.

Over the road bridge (on a safe, dedicated side lane) I had a real feeling of heading deeper into Scotland. The cool wind from the coast was blowing around my bare knees whilst the bridge bounced and rattled with the motion of the traffic. Fun times!

From there a blend of towns and country lanes to Perth where I took a rest by the Tay, then much the same again for the remainder. The Cairngorm Mountains are on the doorstep for tomorrow, and to get around them, the route through the Drumochter Pass.

Day 13 map, stats and gradients.

No comments:

Post a Comment