Saturday 13 September 2014

Day 17. Golspie To Melvich 77 miles

Biggest day today. I'll keep the start brief. To Helmsdale in more heavy mist on the A9 of all roads. Not fun at all. Those few words are enough.

Then A897 road up into the emptiness of the Far North. I loved it. Virtually no traffic, great views (mist had cleared inland), river nearby, etc. See pic 1. At Kinbrace I did something really silly. Instead of continuing for 20 miles I thought "I'm making good time, not tired yet, I know I'll take B871 left and go via Bettyhill, 40 miles". So I did. My god, it was long. Not as pretty as earlier but still an experience.

Soon into it I hit 1000 trip miles! Things got very bleak and windswept as it just went on and on through a threatening nothing. Am I glad? I'm not sure. But it was a real thing to go through.
Bettyhill to Melvich along the top I was slightly familiar with and knew it would be hilly. Walking was often the way, but given the longer than planned day I could excuse myself.

As the evening light grew more orange I felt a sense of pride knowing I was now at the very top of the mainland, with over 1000 under my belt. A long day but still a good one to help see the journey to an end.

Day 17 map, stats and gradients. http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/589890666

No comments:

Post a Comment