Sunday 14 September 2014

Day 18. Melvich To John O Groats 52 miles.

Well then, this was the big day? Well, not really considering the things I'd experienced until now. But still an important day. I set off early under darkness to avoid my finish clashing with that of a ride across britain event. Turned out I enjoyed being on the far north road with just my lights and the moon. Very silent and in a way magical.

I diverted (5m each way) to include the true northern most point at Dunnet Head. It was now daylight and the climb not bad. Though I was now pretty fit. It's a nice spot. Not much but a lighthouse but worth including. After that across to Duncansby Head, the most north easterly point. Again little but a lighthouse but you'd be chuffed to tick it off.

Then... John o Groats and a total of 1083 miles :-) . As I neared it parts of me did and didn't want to finish. Combinations of happiness and sadness. That or maybe I was on the brink of crying with happiness. Anyway, paid £10 for the personalised sign and photos. Yes that's costly but if you've come all this way why on earth scrimp for the blank, free one. Then began the acceptance of journey over. To say the least, I felt very happy to know I'd completed such a journey and it had worked so well. Being honest, legs a little tight but otherwise fine!

I'll do a proper run down of the journey with best, worst, advice, etc in a day or two. With so much to say it will take clever writing to condense it! But I'll say this for now, I had a great journey and can safely say, like many others, I've been lucky to fulfil the ambition. 

Day 18 map,  stats and gradients.

No comments:

Post a Comment